Would love to know your thoughts on This Granola Mama. Follow me or comment on a post to let me know.

Monday, January 3, 2011

Yogurt Update

I am loving making my own yogurt!  In making it these last few times, I have discovered just a couple of things that make it closer to "right" for me.  I like my yogurt thick...if I could have it sliceable, more like flan, I probably would go that route.  In making it according to the everyday yogurt directions, it was just too thin for me. 


So...the last time I made yogurt it got left to sit about 24 hours instead of overnight.  It was the holidays, and things were crazy.  It happens.  When I pulled the lid off my crock pot, though, it was looking closer to "right" for me!  Glossy, smoother, thicker -- these were things I could get used to!  I didn't even strain it, and it was pretty good!  In doing more research, I found that one of the suggestions for thicker yogurt was to add dry milk powder to your milk. 


Hubby & I cleaned out and re-organized our pantry in the kitchen over the holidays (Thank you, Love!!!!) and I found some dry milk packets that I had forgotten about.  When I put my yogurt together Sunday, I added a non-fat packet, enough to make a quart of milk, to my two quarts of milk (1 quart skim, 1 quart whole) in the crock pot.  (Side note -- there was no skin on the milk when I went to add the yogurt this time!  I think that they dry milk took care of that for me.  Yippee!)  Normally, I would have let it sit til yesterday morning, but since I'd had such success with it sitting 24 hours instead, I left it, intending to put it in the fridge before bed last night. 


Have I mentioned that this child that I'm carrying has eaten my brain, and that I used to be intelligent and remember things? 


*sigh* 


I forgot to put the yogurt in the fridge last night...and didn't remember until 6:15 this morning. 
Joy.  Bliss.  Wondrous rapture.  STINK.  When I timidly removed the crock pot lid, what to my wondering eyes should appear, but beautiful, fragrant yogurt!  I think it's the best batch so far.  I know it's the best batch this year!  :-) 


Apparently, the longer it sits, the tangier it gets.  Good thing I like tangy yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment