Would love to know your thoughts on This Granola Mama. Follow me or comment on a post to let me know.

Saturday, March 12, 2011

"Aargh" Retraction! :-)

I have to do it.  I have to retract my "Aargh" of the other day.  I was so very frustrated that the Greek yogurt that I tried to make didn't set up like I wanted it to...and yet, what I thought was a horrible flop has turned into a really great thing!  My kids LOVE to drink it.  LOVE to drink it.  I would imagine that it's like the probiotic yogurt drinks, you know, the really expensive ones.  At least, on my budget they're considered really expensive!  The Lord really likes to do that to me -- take something that looks like an absolute disaster or mistake and make it into a good thing.  What a lovely blessing!

So...let me share my flop with you.  Perhaps you'll get a probiotic drink wannabe or perhaps you'll get Greek yogurt -- not a bad possibility either way.  Do share with me if you try this -- let me know which one you get!  :-)

Here's what you need:
a slow cooker (I used a 6 quart slow cooker)
candy thermometer or an instant read thermometer
whisk
1/2 gallon whole milk
1 1/2 cups milk powder
1/4 c sugar
1/2-ish container of 6 oz Chobani plain Greek yogurt
6-7 bath/beach towels

Put the milk in the slow cooker on low.  At 2 hours, start checking the temperature of the milk.  Make sure that you stir the milk before you put the thermometer in to check the temperature.  The goal?  170 degrees.  Once it reaches 170, take the bowl out of the slow cooker and place it on a folded towel.  (This will help keep the temperature more constant longer as it cools down.) 

Whisk in the milk powder and sugar.

Let the mixture sit with the lid on for about 2 hours, then start checking the temperature again.  This time, we're going for between 105 and 110 degrees.  Once it's in that window, whisk in the Chobani.  Wrap/cover/surround the container with LOTS of towels or blankets.  You want to maintain this temperature as long as possible so your yogurt starter can do its thing.  Now you have to wait.

My Dad lets his sit for about 8 hours.  The way I've done mine, it's had to sit overnight.  Obviously, either way will "work."  At the end of 8 hours, you'll know if you've got a drink or Greek yogurt.  :-)

How brave are you?  Are you willing to give it a go?  If you do, please let me know.  I need to know if I'm the only one who gets the drink yogurt.

 Really. 

Need.  (It's a strong word, but it rings so very true.  hee hee!)

No comments:

Post a Comment